Books I Read

My musing about books that I've read and am reading with some other tidbits thrown in along the way!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore

Welcome to my little corner of the knitting world!!

Friday, June 09, 2006

My List

Shell Seekers (1st of 2 books)-Rosamund Pilcher
Joshua (series)-Jospeh Girzone
Wonderful parable for our time
At Home in Mitford (Series)-Jan Karon
Story about a confirmed Episcopal Priest and what happens when he gets a new next door neighbor. DELIGHTFUL read. She writes children's books too!!!
Abram's Daugher's Series-Beverly Lewis
This is about the life of the Amish in Lancaster County PA. GREAT read to find out what the community believes.
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas-James Patterson
Quick read. You could read this in an evening. But make sure you have your tissues handy, it is more than a tear jearker, sob alert!!!
Walk Across America-Peter Jenkins
A travel-log of a man that walked across America in the 70's. I've not read it in a while, but just remember that it was one that I really enjoyed.

Some Favorite Authors:
Nicholas Sparks-that man sure can make me CRY!!!
Laura Ingalls Wilder of the Little House fame
Maude Hart Lovelace-These are books for girls. My mother read them as a child, passed them on to me, and now I am reading them to my little girl. The first in the series is Betsy Tacy. It is a story about 2 best friends that live in a small town in Minnesota. The nice thing about this series is the reading level increases in the books as the girls get older. I don't know of another series like that. If you do, please let me know. I am a volunteer school librarian and would love to get something like that too for my kids at school!!!
Jeannette Oke-ANYTHING by her is great!!! She writes in series, and the Love Comes Softly series is wonderful. I found a TV movie of that title a few weeks back!!!
Patricia Cornwell-The only thing I've read by her is the Kay Scarpetta series. The series takes place mostly in Richmond VA. Kay is the Chief of Forensics (or what ever the heck it's called) for Richmond. This chronicles her life all allll the mess that goes along with murder and mahem!! I adore the idea that I've been to places that she writes about. It's fun to follow that path.
Joseph Girzone:His first book is "Joshua". It is a parable for today. Every time I read it I get a different message. There are others, and they are all charming, and have a message...but the first one was truly a magical read for me.
Marjorie Holmes:"Two From Gallilee", "Three From Gallilee", and "Jesus of Nazereth." This is the most delightful story of the love story of Mary and Joseph. Holmes is very precise in her study of history during the time of Jesus. As you read, you instantly are put back in Biblical times. Quite amazing. The "Jesus of Nazareth" however, strays quite a bit from what we read in the Bible, so that bothered me a bit. But the first book, a delight.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on the history read. I really enjoy historical settings woven into the story line.

Nicholas Sparks is one of my fave authors, too. Being from NC myself, I really enjoy recognizing the localities in which the story is set. In addition, I find that I enjoy the "comfortableness" of his writing style. It's like sitting down and talking with an old friend.

As a child, I read all of the "Little House" books I could lay my hands on. Wilder paints a vivid picture of pioneer life through the eyes of a child.

So far, I haven't read much of Jeanette Okes' works, but have enjoyed the two I have read.

John Grisham is another favorite author of mine. I've always been intrigued by suspense novels that are based on the legal profession. An added perk for me is that the stories take place mostly along the Gulf Coast region, where I now live. As with Sparks, it's fun to know exactly the places that are identified in the story line.

I'm really looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts about your favorited reads!

Jill, BCB

June 09, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

I've added Patricia Cornwell to the author's list. It IS fun to read about things that you actually KNOW about!!!

June 10, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

Peter Jenkins started his walk across America here in Alfred NY, where I reside. He was here last spring and started another walk along the same route, but I haven't heard about him since then.
Sara from KH

June 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You listed many of my favorite books. I also agree with Jill about the Little House books. I also love the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. Jeannie is reading the first book in that series now. I have 2 current favorite authors. Debbie Macomber started out writing for Harlequin and Silohette and now is published by Mira books. She has a lot of series-The Dakota series, Cedar Cove series, others I can't think of. I like her storytelling. The other author I have recently discovered is Jennifer Chiaverini. She writes the Elm Creek Quilts series. These are great books. They are set in our time, but also go back in time through the quilts made by the ancestors of the main character. The first book is The Quilter's Apprentice. There are 9 in all so far and I imagine she will write more.

June 12, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

Debbie Macomber also wrote The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn . Nice quick reads. The story is about a yarn shop owner and the people she befriends along the way. As a knitter it was fun to read a book with a knitting theme!!!

June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home